Well, the time has come, and our daughter has arrived. Alana’s water broke on Tuesday at around 8:00 in the morning, so she went to the hospital to get ready for the birth. I received a call at work at around 9:00 to inform me that she was at the hospital and that I should make my way over.

The trip to the hospital seemed to take forever. I took the subway to Yorkdale only to find out that the GO buses don’t run to Newmarket at that time of the day, so I called Alana’s sister, Jennifer, to have her pick me up from the mall.

After about two and a half hours of travelling/waiting, I arrived at the hospital to find Alana roaming the halls. Apparently, after the first hour or so of contractions, everything started to calm down for a while – however, since she was already on antibiotics, had her water break, and was still itchy like mad, the doctors decided to induce.

They started her on the Pitocin at around 2:00 pm and incremented the dose every half hour. For the next few hours we spent time watching TV (she wasn’t allowed to get out of bed). We saw a few episodes of The Cosby Show, a few of Saved by the Bell, and several episodes of Star Trek: TNG. It was certainly a bit more relaxed than it was for our first one.

At around 8:00 pm Alana started into “active labour”, so the midwife arrived and helped keep her calm, and got everything ready for the birthing process. Active labour lasted for about two hours or so, before she moved into her transition. At this point, she started taking the Nitrous Oxide (laughing gas) to ease the pain a bit (it was too late to take Demerol, and they didn’t want Niamh to be too groggy when she arrived).

At around 10:40, she got to the point at which she could start pushing, so they called the doctor on call to come over for the delivery. By 10:46, after a few pushes and a couple of ear-piercing screams, Niamh had arrived (a few moments before the doctor). The midwife took care of the baby, while the doctor dealt with the after-birth.

Upon examination, the doctor exclaimed, “Oh, this is not good at all.” At which point, the midwife came over and asked what was wrong. “Well, there’s nothing here for me to stitch up – there’s no tears or anything – you haven’t left me anything to do.”, he replied.

This was good news, of course, so everything went very well. Niamh arrived on August the 2nd, at six pounds and one ounce, 26 days early. She is 50 cm in height, with a head measurement of 32.5 cm, and had an Apgar score of 9-9. She’s breathing and feeding fine, and has no troubles so far. Alana was also fine (although, still a little itchy and jaundiced), and both she and Niamh were released from the hospital the following afternoon, at 2:00.

Since then, I’ve been at home helping things out, dealing with William when necessary, and helping out with any housework that needs to be done. I’ll go back to work probably on the 15th, so I’ll have a bit of time to do whatever is necessary. My brother will be over tomorrow at 10:00 in the morning to help me put up the drywall in her room. Until then, she’s sleeping in a bassinet in our bedroom.

Anyway, I hope everyone’s had a great week, and for everyone in Canada, I hope you all have a great long weekend!