If I haven’t written an update in a while, it usually means that I’ve been a bit busy for a while, and have been sleeping in a little longer in the morning to catch up on my sleep. But now that I have a moment or two, I’ll update you on what I only mentioned briefly a few weeks (or actually, a bit over a month) ago, that being my ordination as an elder and the first two meetings.

So to start it off, two weeks ago was the day when I and four others were ordained as elders (and one as a deacon). I was nervous, as I can sometimes be when I’m in front of everyone, and I was hoping that the pastor would tell a couple of jokes before the actual ordination so that I’d be a little more loosened up. Thankfully, I didn’t have to be nervous for too long because the ordination was pretty much the first thing on the schedule, and thankfully, the pastor did tell a couple of jokes to loosen us up a bit before the ordination. By the time we got to it, I wasn’t quite so nervous anymore (though still a bit) and I was quite relaxed for the rest of the service. The basic form for the ordination of elders and deacons in the CRC can be found here. After we were finished answering the questions, the elders and deacons who had served before came up and laid their hands on us as we had the prayer. After this, we were able to sit with our families again until the end of the service, when we went up to the front to shake hands and recieve encouragement.

The following Tuesday we had our first full Council meeting. I obviously won’t go into much detail, but I can mention as much as appeared in the bulletin today. The meeting opened with prayer. We (the new office bearers) were welcomed to Council. Various reports were given. We (the new office bearers) signed the Form of Subscription. Committee appointments were assigned (I was not assigned to a committee). And the meeting was ended in prayer. The meeting started at about 7:30 pm and ended around 10:15, so it took a few hours. The outgoing elders (including my father) and deacon attended the first half of the meeting and were thanked for their service before they left.

This past Tuesday we had our first Elders meeting. We started at around 8:00 pm so that some of us could get a little bit of baseball in, but Alana was late from work, so it didn’t make much difference to me. This meeting followed a similar outline to the full Council meeting and ended at around 10:00 pm. I got to bed at around 10:30, but ended up only getting around 2 1/2 hours of sleep that night – not that I was overly stressed out about anything in the meeting, but I was mulling stuff around in my mind concerning how to conduct home visits (given that I’m new to the office), and when I finally did get to the point of thinking about sleeping I wanted to fall asleep too much – and that always makes it all the more difficult to actually achieve. I slept well for the rest of the week, though, so that made up for the lack of sleep that one night.

I guess I’ll have to put a bit of work into scheduling for the next while so that I don’t end up having too many things in one week. Meetings generally seem to be scheduled for Tuesday nights, so I’m expecting to miss two to four more baseball games, and I’ll have to schedule home visits for other days on most weeks. None of that should really be all that difficult to deal with, though. Despite the workload, I am looking forward to serving the church body, and I pray that God will use me in a way that will strengthen His church and bring glory to His name.